A few tips on ‘My Washing Machine Diet’

This is a follow up to an article that I published on Medium.com which talks about how I’ve attempted to change my eating habits (focusing more on ‘how to eat’ rather than ‘what to eat’).

I’m sharing some useful tips that I did not mention in that article.

  • Dairy does not mix well with most other foods so plan accordingly. I usually have my major portion of dairy in the morning, an hour after eating fruits, or as a separate meal.
  • Fruits take at most an hour to get digested, other foods like grains and pulses take over 2 hours, and some processed food or meat can take 3 hours. Your stomach will feel full or feel empty based on the speed of digestion.
  • Classify food as acidic or alkaline (charts are available on various health sites), and eat a higher share of alkaline foods whenever possible. The stomach loves alkaline food so it can break it down easily with less acid. When you eat more acidic food, the stomach has to generate even stronger acids internally to break down the acidic food and maintain the right pH.
  • The stomach muscles need space to churn well (no different than a washing machine). Eating 80% of your capacity, and leaving 20% room for churning always helps digestion.
  • Avoid drinking too much water just before/during/after meals. Water will dilute the gastric juices. Wait for an hour or so before drinking lots of water.
  • SOS – If the situation demands that you break all rules and suspect you may get acidity or heartburn, drink a lot of alkaline water – squeeze a lemon into a glass of water to make it alkaline.

I’ll outline meal options and other helpful ideas as I experiment more on myself. I’ll update this page for those interested. Drop a comment or an email if you have a specific question and I’ll do my best to share my experience around it.

Advertisements

3 comments

  1. healthiestbeauty

    Reblogged this on The healthiest beauty.

  2. If some one wishes expert view about blogging then i propose him/her to visit this webpage, Keep up the nice work.

  3. It’s going to be finish of mine day, except before end I am reading this impressive piece of writing to increase my know-how.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: